Sunday, April 5, 2009

Track Class at Marymoor

I helped teach the track class at Marymoor with Bilko yesterday. It was really fun! My goal was to pass on my enthusiasm for racing to the new riders and get them excited about track racing. It was a good experience.

I took the track class so long ago that I didn't remember what I learned or even who taught the course. When I went out to the track two years ago I didn't remember how to get off the track!

Bilko did a great job of deconstructing the process of getting on a fixed gear bike and riding it safely around the track. The class was an all women's class and none of them had ridden a fixed gear bike before so we had to start with just getting on the bike and stopping safely. Soon we had them comfortable and taking flyers around the track. Then we got to play follow the leader. I had one group and Bilko had the other group. I took them up and down the track and dove down the steep part. I hope they had as much fun as I did! It will be nice to see them at the races. I hope I get another chance to help out with future classes. It was super nice weather too which made it even more exciting because I know that track racing is coming soon.

Today I did more intervals - 10 minute efforts again but this time with 15 seconds hard every two minutes. I would hit 350-400 watts on the hard parts and then drop down to 200 watts until the next 15 seconds effort. This was Mark's idea and it was one of the hardest sessions I've done! Afterwards I took a recovery ride around Greenlake. It was a mob scene because of the nice weather but a fun place too cool down when you aren't in a hurry. Very entertaining!

No comments: