Friday, October 28, 2011

Cross Racing

I did the single speed cross race last Sunday at Marymoor! You can now callme a cross racer!

I did some cross racing about 15 years ago but it was on a mountain bike. This was my first time racing on a cross bike.

One of my teammates helped me after the warm up lap and told me how not to cornerlike a road rider. He said to keep some bend in the outside leg so you can have some control if the rear tire starts slipping. Also there is no need to point your inside leg inward (motorcycle style). And it is better to keep the bike more upright and lean your body instead so you keep the tread on your tire in contact with the mud. These last minute tips really helped. I had to consciously try to remember on each corner to and try and not use road technique.

I also went to the cyclocross practice at Marymoor last Wednesday with Sharon and learned that I had way too much pressure in my tires. Ihad 60 lbs in because that is what the side of the tire said. I took it way down to 32 psi in the front and about 35 in the back. That was much better. They also taught me to use just the right brake (not left) when going down hill or in a turn to keep from going over the bars.

The course was fast and fun. I was a bit scared having themen's category 3's and the men's single speeders pass me. I found myself hyperventilating a few times. But they were all very polite when they passed and many offered words of encouragment. Jodi passed me on my last lap and she looked very fast. It was impressive because at that point I was very tired.

It was a fun day. It was fun hanging out with the mud roosters today!

I also got my picture on the MFG cross site! http://www.mfgcyclocross.com/photos/detail/6281181563/

No comments: