Thursday, May 29, 2008

Wednesday night at Marymoor Velodrome - Cyclisme sur piste

We got in some track racing on Wednesday night but just barely. There were some sprinkles during warm up. Every time I went out to warm up there would be sprinkles so I ended up skipping warm-up. I know the track gets slippery when it's wet so I asked one of the refs, Phil, when they call the race. He said he had a fool-proof method of telling when to stop racing: as soon as someone goes down in a crash. Thanks Phil that made me feel so much better.
The refs are really cool though. They emphasized during the pre-race instructions that safety is first, fairness second, and competition third. I know that they are always looking out for us.
My first race was a scratch race. There were only five women so it was easy to keep an eye on every one. I waited until the last lap and tried to block in the strongest rider but it didn't work and the other riders used my wheel for the sprint. I got really bad stomach cramps from not warming up but I knew what was up so I took an extra long cool down and I was fine by the next race.
The next race was a snowball. I was going to use my strategy of going for points on the second lap. Jen A. took the first sprint and then I went. But she caught me and took the second sprint too. But we had gapped the field so I tried to come around again, and again. Eight sprints and eight second places. Jen is really strong! I was on her wheel too. So I took second place in the race since I was second on the last lap. In the last race, the 4x4 it was the same story. I could not out sprint Jen. I even went for it with a lap to go to see if I could catch her off guard. Now I really have to work to get better at my sprint. I've had it!

No comments: