Thursday, September 4, 2008

Wednesday Night - Marymoor Velodrome

The cat 4's were fast last night. I raced with the men's 4's again and they were split into two fields. It was sunny, so attendance was fairly good considering it's so close to the end of the season. One of the guys in my group was a cat 2 on the road and won every race without much trouble. The rest of us tried to hang on once he went for it.

The first race was a point-a-lap. I got split off of the main group when the pace increased but so did quite a few others. The next race, the win-and-out, went about the same. In the last race, the points race, I went for an attack 1-lap before the first points. I went intentionally when I saw the fast guy on the front because I was gambling that he wouldn't feel threatened by me and wouldn't chase. As I attacked down the banking I heard someone yell "let it go" but the other guys in the pack weren't going to risk losing points and were right on it. They caught me and I hung on as the pace ramped up for the sprint for points. I really had to dig deep to avoid getting dropped. I felt like I pushed my legs beyond a barrier and was able to get more power out of them. It was great! Now I just need to remember how to do that for the women's race! I hung on until about the last three laps in the race. At that point the group was completely shattered and I was passing lapped riders. One of these days I'm going to stay away for points!

No comments: