Friday, March 20, 2009

More Mt. Lemmon

Mark and I couldn't stay away from Mt. Lemmon. I think the people we are staying with think we are crazy!


Yesterday was really hot when we headed up and I think I was dehydrated from the previous rides. I was really sore and we stopped at the 14 mile point and headed back down. Mark said that we could just come back tomorrow. We stopped at Auga Caliente park for a nice relaxing break before the last 4 miles home. The park has natural springs and is a favorite stopping place for local birds.



Today Mark was not so excited about going up Mt Lemmon again but I really wanted to go. We headed out under slightly overcast skies. It was much nicer, still sunny but not so hot. I did much better and wasn't so sore so we went all the way to the top again. It was a nice ride. We chatted with some of the other riders as they were going up. People are pretty friendly and you get a good mix of riders. Some are trying it for the first time and some are pro riders riding with their teammates. Some riders have sag wagons to carry extra food and water. I have Mark, who carried an extra big camelback with extra water. (Thanks!) :)

I enjoy the descent more than I used to now that I know the road better. I can watch the amazing scenery go by without stressing about the next turn. The funnest part for me is waving to the riders heading up the hill. They seem happy to see other riders.

That's it for this trip. Mark said we did about 18,000 feet of climbing. I will do well at the next race with a 20 mile climb! Just kidding - no climbs that long in Washington.



No comments: