Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sprinklers and Track do not mix

I had 5 teammates and my madison partner out for track practice today. We had to deal with the sprinklers though which were watering the lower parts of the track. This was bad because you can't ride on the track if it is wet. It is banked enough that you don't have enough friction to keep your tires on the surface.

The sprinklers were on when we got there so I took apart the garbage cans and blocked off the sprinkler heads. They were watering the north half of the lawn (and track). So we warmed up above the blue line (high) and then did 2x 3 high speed sprints off of corner 4 to the line.

Then the sprinklers switched and started watering the other half of the track so I had to move the garbage cans but they had already gotten the lower half of the other side wet. While I was out moving the garbage cans the heads came on for the infield and started watering my bag. One of the riders from the other team moved my bag and hung up my clothes to dry. (thanks!)

We then did one laps efforts with a partner where the second person practices timing the final sprint and coming around the first rider. The track finally dried out so we could use the sprinters lane.

Last Friday was another fast night. I realize that as our women's group gets larger I can't race from the back anymore so I am working on better positioning so I don't miss the moves. I think I figured out a few things during the race. It helps to watch the other riders and see what is working. I have the strength I just need to ride smarter!

It was really fun to watch the last race. Amara partnered with her brother for the men's cat 1/2 Madison and they won! It was so much more fun to watch than when the two strongest guys pair up and just crush the rest. This was a real race. They did great too. There was another mixed pair and then one pair of women racing as well. Mark and I were wishing we had singed up for it too.

No comments: