Sunday, June 5, 2011

Friday Night Racing

My first race went pretty bad. I ended up last, blowing up 1/2 way through. It was a tempo race which means there are sprints every lap. Very hard.

Then a miss and out which was fun. I made it about 1/2 way before being eliminated.

The last race was the points race. Going into the first set of points the group slowed down so I went up high on the bank. I always do this so when the acceleration happens all I have to do is drop down the bank. I was the only one on the bank though. No one was paying attention to me either. I casually pick up the pace. I tried to be as smooth as possible so no one would realize what I had in mind. We came around corner 4 and I attacked hard down the banking. I quickly got a large gap. At that point no one wanted to chase because they would be leading out the others for the points. Perfect for me. I held the gap and was able to ease up before the line and still get the 5 points. I quickly rolled up the bank and dropped back on the back of the group and held on through the counter attacks. I didn't want to attack that early in the race but the opportunity was too good to pass up. I sat in for the rest of the sprints but I might have gotten one more point on the last one. I got fifth in that race and was pretty happy. The group this year is very strong so fifth is a good place for me.

Here are a couple of photos -

http://www.wheelsinfocus.com/2011/MVA/63/pages/903C9237jpgmva6.htm


http://www.wheelsinfocus.com/2011/MVA/63/pages/903C9156jpgmva6.htm

I also had a fun track practice today. Got in some good sling-shot practice.

No comments: