Sunday, April 6, 2008

5 minute intervals

I did a Computrainer ride today to work on focused intervals. Computrainer is great for doing training that you can't easily do on the road when you are dealing with all of the distractions.

My goal was to do 4x5 minute intervals at progressively higher watts. The first one I held at 210 watts. It was difficult to hold the wattage because if you haven't had any feedback for a while your form suffers and you don't realize it. When the watts jump around though you know.

The next interval was 220 and it wasn't too bad. I worked on firing the quads while keeping the legs relaxed.

230 for the next interval. I was breathing harder and tried to establish a breathing rhythm. It reminded me of my days of swimming across lake Washington when I would get a really nice strong rhythm.

Finally 240-250 on the last go-round. At first it was hard but then I remembered what one of my teammates was telling me yesterday about how she learned to mt bike by riding without sitting back on the saddle. You aren't standing but you aren't sitting back either. As I shifted my weight I felt more aggressive, like I was really driving the bike and the watts went up.

I felt pretty good afterwards but resisted the temptation to do more - well just a 10 minute tempo but not too hard.

No comments: