Saturday, April 26, 2008

Green Valley TT

I got third at the Green Valley TT today! I wasn't going to go and then my teammate asked if I was going and I though why not? I'm not a big fan of TTs but I need to ride anyway. I was glad I went. It was a nice sunny day - no knee warmers and no arm warmers. Seems like it was just snowing last weekend....


My TT bars are vintage '80s. I actually got a new pair but my shoulder felt unstable in too tight a profile so I've kept the old ones. It makes me feel a bit funny with all of the fancy updated equipment that everybody else has but it works for me and it's really just for fun anyway.

During warm-up I hopped off of the trainer to stretch and I saw a puddle of water under the back of the trainer. Apparently the fluid was draining out of it. I finished warming up but it looks like I need a new trainer. It's as old as the TT bars so I guess it's time to replace it. Last month it was the rack on my car that broke. One of the mounts was rusted shut and another one was totally corroded and fell apart.

The course is almost the same as the ice breaker TT but a bit longer. We drove the course on the way to the race and spotted our "go for broke point" to make sure we used up all the fuel before the line. The finish comes after a blind corner and I've made the mistake before of finishing with too much left over. I got the turn down pretty good this time - nice speed into it and remembered to shift before and felt nice and strong on the way out. There were these baby bulls(?) at the go for broke point, very cute. Just as I got there Jen passed me looking really strong. She started 2 minutes back. I kept her in sight until the finish and tried not to loose too much more ground. It was good to have a marker to force me to keep pushing. Our team mate Michele took first! She is amazing at TTs.

We hung around for the awards and I got some yummy banana bread that was going un-eaten at the organizers table. Mmmm it was really good especially since I only brought gels for after race food!





No comments: