Saturday, July 5, 2008

Sprinting for the cookies

Last night was July 4th at the track but that didn't keep the racers away! We had 12 women out racing including one racer from Minnesota.

Before the racing started I found 4 4-leaf clovers in the grass! I picked one and gave it to Annette because she has had more of her share of crashes this year. I picked another and put in my pocket. I left the other two in the grass. Maybe someone else wants a good luck charm?


Our first race was a win-in-out which I knew would be a fast one. I was trying to go for the second sprint but it didn't work out. I knew there would be good competition for the first sprint but there was a gap in the field and I chose the wrong wheel to be on. So I had a long way to make up and wasn't in position for the next sprints. I ended up 6th.
The next race was the Keirin, which I'd seen many times but never done before. I knew from watching videos that you didn't want to sit at the back and wait. I was last in line behind the motorcycle but I came up to the front as he was pulling off and then poured on the gas. I had just watched Annette win the heat before from the front so I figured it was a good strategy. However I didn't time my effort and died on the back stretch and all of the riders came around before the finish. Kenny told me afterwards that it was a good plan but "plan it so you die at the line and not before". The next time out was the consolation heat, my second Keirin ever! I went for the same strategy but I didn't go to the front. I wasted too much energy before the finish didn't have it for the sprint.
The last race was a 20-lap scratch. I didn't have any teammates in the race so I needed to save energy for the finish. However when they called the first "cash & cookies" prime I went for it. I took second - for the cookies. Then I tried to ride on good wheels. There were several splits in the field but I didn't panic and each time it came back together. With two to go we were all together again. I moved up onto a good wheel and suddenly I felt like I was doing my 3rd Keirin. This time I timed it right and got 3rd in the final sprint! That put me in 4th overall for the night.
They brought by my cookies prime after the race. I thought it might be 1 or 2 cookies but it was 16! I took them around and shared. They will make good snacks on tomorrow's ride.
Annette had a great final race - she got in a breakaway with Ron (a teammate) and Nick. They held off the field and Annette won the final sprint to the joy of a roaring crowd.
We enjoyed watching the fireworks on the drive home - especially going across the bridge.

No comments: