Monday, December 29, 2008

Dirty roads but at least it's outside!

I got to ride outside today! It was great to be outdoors even though it was very windy and there was still some slush around and fallen branches. The picture above is the guardrail that is now repaired from when the buses almost crashed through above the freeway.

The streets were full of grit from all the sanding. It was good to be on a fixed gear bike because you don't have to use the brakes as much. Braking in this weather is horrible for your rims. When I hung up my bike after the commute I could hear the dirt falling off of it on to the floor. I guess I should have hosed it down. I call my commuter bike the road monster because it's great for this kind of stuff. I also rode over quite a bit of glass where the buses crashed that wasn't swept up yet and I didn't get a flat.

Vittoria Randonneur tires

I did get a flat on Sunday when I was riding the trainer! I use a special tire just for riding the trainer so I don't wear my good tires. So there was no glass but I guess I just wore out the tube. I worked at the computrainer booth at the bike expo a few years ago when Allen Larsen (Race Across America Winner) rode the computrainer for the entire day. He got a flat while I was there and I happened to have my bike bag with a spare tube and a pump so I got to fix his tire!

I rode Saturday and Sunday inside, hopefully for the last weekend for awhile!
Trainer Tire

No comments: