Saturday, January 24, 2009

Frosty Cold and Bike Polo

I didn't ride today - took the day off since it froze over night. I am conservative w/ ice due to past team crashes. It's a bonding experience I really don't want to have again.

Last Sunday was pretty marginal. I rode but there was a lot of frost at the start of the ride that made me nervous. It was a gorgeous day though and I loved feeling the sun!

Then, Thursday I was walking back from the store late at night and I saw a bunch of cyclists under I-5. I went over to check it out and they were playing bike polo. There were two games going on each with 6 riders. They all were riding one-handed with a mallet in the other hand. The mallet looked like a croquet mallet and the ball was about the size of a tennis ball. They were trying to get the ball between a set of cones. We watched from a safe distance. They were riding full speed swinging the mallet at the ball and sometimes, just like in the Ballard Crit they used the curb as part of the course. It was fun to watch. They were very good bike handlers and seemed to have no fear at all. We looked it up on the Internet and found that they play every Thursday night. I might spectate again but I'm not at all tempted to play - ok maybe just a little....

No comments: