Saturday, July 24, 2010

FSA day 1

I raced the evening of FSA day 1.

I raced the 5-mile scratch race and the points race. It was a long wait until my events. There was great racing to watch though. Some of the best riders in the united states + Canada and a few other countries like Australia and Tasmania.

I watched former World Champion Jennie Reed motor away from some of the best riders in the country in the women's Keirin. Then I saw the current men's national champion destroy his heat in the men's elite. It was really fast!

I lined up for the scratch with pros from Texas, California, Pennsylvania, Canada, etc. I knew I couldn't out sprint them so my idea was to try and get a prime. The problem is that if they call a prime it would already be to late. So I waited for a good moment and attacked hoping they would call one soon. I got maybe 1/2 lap up(?) and was out there for 3-4 laps. The announcer was really talking my break up as one of the "local riders". Then the bell rang! I need to stay out there for one lap to get $25. There were people all the way around the velodrome (400 meters worth) so it was loud with people cheering for me. I went as fast as I could but the Tasmanian champ and former Marymoor record holder burst out of the pack and caught me on the line to take the prime. I didn't get the money but it was worth it to have the crowd cheering me on! I then got dropped and pulled from the race but I had had my fun.

The points race was really fast too. 40 laps with about 40 super strong women. I hung in there and finished but no heroics this time.

Tonight is round 2. Come on out and watch! 7pm ant the Marymoor Velodrome in Redmond.

No comments: