Thursday, November 27, 2008

Turkey Day Bike Ride to Benefit NW Harvest

There was a great turnout for the Thanksgiving ride to benefit NW harvest. Mick, from the First Rate Mortgage Team organized it. He started doing it a few years back and it has turned into a cycling community tradition. I haven't heard the totals yet but I think we raised a good amount of donations. Somebody was offering to match whatever we came up with too.

There was a huge group of riders out front of the Starbucks meeting place. Even more arrived after I took the picture above. Inside the Starbucks I heard one of the employees ask "what is going on?" Another worker replied "they are here every Thanksgiving". They must think we are crazy.

It felt great to see everybody out and to ride together. It makes me happy to reconnect with old friends. Burton, the Wednesday night announcer at the track greeted me with "Riders to the Rail" in his Announcer's voice. I laughed, it got the juices flowing in my track muscles! I made some new friends along the way also.

It was fun to ride down the street in a huge group. I noticed the surprised look on the faces of people we passed. Some people actually pulled out their camera and took a picture. They are used to seeing bike racers. Maybe even groups of 20 or so at a time but not the 100+ that we had. The weather was perfect for it too.

No comments: