Sunday, June 14, 2009

Saturday Flying Wheels Challenge Track Races at Marymoor

Yesterday we had a special event - the Flying Wheels Challenge at the Marymoor Velodrome. The event was timed to coincide with the finishing of the Flying Wheels bike ride put on by the Cascade Bicycle Club so we had a huge audience of bike enthusiasts. It was great. The weather was perfect too. I forgot what it is like to race in the heat of the sun instead of the evening.

My teammate Annette raced with me instead of doing the men's races like she usually does. It was great to have someone to do teamwork with. We strategized before each race and came up with plans of attack. Sometimes things worked and sometimes we had to improvise but overall we were successful because Annette took first place! I got fourth place which I was very happy with.

There is a good picture of me on the "Wheels in Focus" site. The group didn't seem to notice me sneaking up the banking just before my attack in the points race. I managed to stay off the front for about 5 laps.
http://www.wheelsinfocus.com/2009/MVA/FlyingW/W/pages/94AD0458mva6.htm

I could hear lots of people in the crowd cheering for me. I'm not sure who they all were but I was really happy to hear them.

I was so hot afterwards. I'm just not used to so much sun. I let some of the kids who were watching pour water over my head. It felt really good. When I got home I went for a swim in the lake and then ate fresh peas from my garden. It was a fun day.

No comments: