Sunday, July 5, 2009

Marymoor Friday Night Racing


The picture above is Mark giving me some advice before the miss-and-out. He was really telling me jokes to make me laugh. Mark has on his new Keirin gloves.

My races felt much better last Friday than the previous Friday. I was able to motor up on the wheel when I needed to.

The first race was the unknown distance. One of my competitors had just finished racing with the men so I thought I'd attack from the gun and try to thin out the pack. It was fun and I got a gap but the pack stayed together and caught me after a lap. Then I hung on until the finish. I think we went 13 laps which is on the long side for a miss and out. We were all getting really tired and were happy to hear that bell.

The second race was a miss and out and I tried to not get in the pole lane so I wouldn't get swamped but somehow my strategy still didn't work and I got swamped. It needs some more refinements.

The last race was a scratch race with several primes. I was hoping a group would go off the front and I stayed close on the prime laps but it didn't happen. I was happy to stay in the action though. On the third to last lap we really ramped it up and soon my legs were bursting. I wanted to stop pedaling with one lap to go. I finished about mid group.

Here I am getting ready to hold Mark for his two lap heat.

And here I am, not quite in the draft yet.
Today I did a spin workout. I was trying to hold a high cadence for 1-1/2 minutes. I blew up after the first 30 seconds. It felt exactly like the end of the scratch race on Friday! So I backed off the power and worked on breathing through the interval and was finally able to go 90 seconds. It amazed me how hard it was to do. After doing several of those I did a 10 minute set with 10 second surges every two minutes. I was able to briefly hit 500 watts again. I did a few weights afterwards and then I was really light headed. I drank a recovery drink and then felt much better. Ready for Madison races tomorrow! I hope the weather cooperates!


No comments: