Tuesday, July 21, 2009

More Racing!

Last Friday was hot! I don't like racing in the heat so much but by the end of the night it was really nice. The racing was hard for me.

On the first race some of the women were caught by surprise when they had us go from the rail instead of doing a neutral lap. As soon as I heard it I rolled of the rail and attacked. Three of us got a gap and I was really excited to have a chance to be out front but the other two wouldn't work. One of the girls sat up and slowed down because the third girl was a sprinter. I was so disappointed. I came around and tried to make it work anyway but just ended up tiring myself out. I hung on for the counter attack but was out of energy before the end of the race.

We also did a miss and out. I stayed safe for a few laps but then didn't sprint hard enough and was out.

The last race got really strung out. I felt like quitting but finished even though I was off the back. I worked really hard. Very tired after that race.

Saturday I rode the new light rail. Didn't take my bike on it yet but checked out the place to put your bike and how to board with a bike. I'll be making use of it soon.

Sunday Michelle and I met up for Madison practice at the track. We had a good time. One of our friends, Matt, was doing intervals and let us ride in his draft while we did our exchanges. He was going 24 mph and then later ramped it up to 27 mph. It was so nice to do exchanges at speed but not to have to work so hard to keep up the pace. Riding in the draft was so much easier. We also did some flying 200 efforts and a few standing starts.

On Monday Michelle and I raced Madison again. The practice with Matt really helped. We still blew some exchanges but were able to at least spend part of the time with the men's teams. Although when I got on Matt's wheel I was not able to hold it this time. He must have been going way faster than 27!

The juniors also raced on Monday. I can't believe how many of them there are. There was an A, B, and C group! Most of them ride for team Zoom which I guess is leading the team competition for all of the racers at the Velodrome. Those kids are going to be trouble!

No comments: