Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Catching up - Three Girls Madison!

Friday we raced again at the Velodrome. It was in the 100's this week and they actually had to cancel racing on Wednesday and Thursday but luckily it cooled down to the the 80's and 90's so we could race again. The races were short due to the weather but they seemed extra short after the long races at the FSA competition. We had a 8-lap scratch, 2 lap heats, and a points race. The atmosphere was very laid back and relaxed since FSA was done. On the two lap heats I took a chance and went for the early attack but Jennifer came by in a big gear and I couldn't catch back on. The other races were fine - just hanging in with the group mostly. I might try a bigger gear next week to see how it feels. I do like spinning the little gear though. I figure it's good for me in the long run.

Sunday I did a Madison workout with Michelle and spent some time riding behind the motor cycle in warm up. It was still nice and warm and by the end of the workout we were getting hot again.

On Monday I did the Madison races. We had 5 teams this time, our best turnout yet. One of the riders showed up after the first race and then we had one extra person. So the three girls decided to form one team. Two riders were on relief while one was racing. It was a blast! We had so much fun. It made our speeds much faster but also gave us more to think about. When you have two riders on relief you need to keep track of each other as well as the rider in the race so you don't both come down for an exchange, or stack them up too close together. We blew our exchanges several times but had even more fun than we usually do. During the race was the first time I had ever done an exchange with Devon. It went fine but I was nervous before hand! The officials were really cool about letting us have a "pair of three".



This is a picture of the cool jerseys that Bilko brought before Devon joined the three-girls team.

No comments: