Saturday, January 5, 2008

Windy and Rainy Ride

I think the forecast for today was isolated thunderstorms, high winds 20-25 with gusts of 50 and 100 percent chance of rain. The weather forecasters exaggerate a bit but it was still a pretty blustery day. Definitely a plastic jacket day. I started at Zokas and then stopped by Leschi to meet the girls and when I went in Starbucks almost all of the Wines riders were wearing the plastic jackets.

It was pretty rainy at the start and I looked at the sky and there was this huge grey cloud in the sky extending along the horizon. The sun was just below it and still rising up behind the cloud. It looked like an inverted sunset - very foreboding.

We headed down to the Maple Valley trail and we saw what looked like a boulder in the middle of the trail. I figured it was one of those wet spots in the road that looks like something else but I called a "heads up" just in case. It was a boulder about 4' high and it was split in two, so it must have fallen hard. It was too big to try and move out of the way for others. I hope no one smashes into it!

We had three flats on the ride which is a lot when you only have four people to start with. The last one was right in front of Liz's house so she gave us a ride to the other girl's car and I finished up the last few miles.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Cedar-River-Trail-Lollypop

No comments: