Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sequim #1

First road race of the year for me! Hooray! I knew there was nothing to be nervous about before the race but my body didn't seem to agree. Lots of trips to the restroom and no appetite at all. I forced down a scone on the drive out but it was hard to do. Our team strategy was to have the race stay together and have a pack finish. The other teams didn't seem to want this to happen at all and kept attacking. I chased down one strong attempt on a small rise. Things were under control until after one lap there was a big break. I saw it go and managed to jump across before it was too late. I heard the people from the other team on the front yelling "your not supposed to chase down your own team mates!" Well the problem was that every team was represented in the break so I knew the pack would be sitting up. I had a teammate in the break but unfortunately there was a hard attack and she lost the group. Then it was me and 5 others, two from two of the other teams so I was way out numbered. No work for me! The other girls didn't see things from my view and thought they could bully me into working. At one point two of the girls from one of the other teams got on either side of me and yelled at me at the same time. Man this was annoying. They are lucky I'm not the quick temper type. After a while with some helpful hints from me they figured out I wasn't going to work (really?) and they would have to use tactics against me. What was really weird is they weren't at all focused on winning the race - just getting rid of me. Thanks for the complement guys - but whatever. Finally after some targeted attempts to drop me and one underhanded attack while engaging me in an argument I was on my own to do the last lap solo. Just as I hit the line the group from behind caught me but it was my own teammates so this was fine with me. We'll have to refine our strategies but this gave us some good discussion material.

No comments: