Saturday, August 30, 2008

Marymoor Velodrome - 5-leaf clover!



I didn't think we were going to get to race last night. It didn't look like we had enough women for a field and there was a 70% chance of rain. Everything worked out though and we had a nice sized field and it was just dry enough to race. There was a light mist but not enough to wet the track surface. We were on edge all night though wondering if rain would suddenly break out.


As I was crossing the infield to set out my stuff I found a 5-leaf clover right in the middle of the infield. I rarely find five-leaf clovers! I'm not sure if it is supposed to be good luck but I picked it anyway.


My first race of the night was a tempo race. I went for the sprints on the second lap and got the points but I mis-judged the speed of the field as they caught me and didn't catch on. So I spent the rest of the race trying to catch up. It was a silly mistake but I'll be more alert next time. I ended up 6th just out of the overall points.

The next race was a two-lap heat. Two riders advancing to the final and two to the consol. I was paired with Christine and Amara, two of the top sprinters. I got the jump on them but they closed just as I got to the line and I ended up a close 3rd. I felt pretty good about challenging them all the way to the end. I think with a little work over the winter I will be winning some of those close ones. I went to the consol heat and was going to try the same strategy but Laura C took it out fast. There were two Group Health riders in my heat so I got behind them and waited until the last half a lap and came around. One of the Group Health teammates caught me before the line so I got 2nd. I think I should have come around just with a little more punch so they couldn't catch my wheel.

The last race was a points race. I was trying to keep an eye on Jaydeen because I knew she would try to break away. I think she was waiting for me to be distracted before she moved though. I went for the second round of points and right after the line as I was easing up Jaydeen attacked hard. Whoops! There was a prize of $100 if someone lapped the field and I knew she could do it if we sat up. I took several hard pulls to keep the pace up. If someone gets that $100 I am going to make them earn it, even if it means throwing my own race. I was in good position for the final sprint and picked up a few more points. It was fun but I felt like collapsing afterwards!

Mark's parents were at the race so I chatted with them while watching Mark's final race.

Here is a short video of Mark's Keirin heat:


No comments: