Thursday, August 28, 2008

Sprint Mania at Marymoor Velodrome

It looked like it might rain but we got lucky again with the weather.

Last night was sprint mania at Marymoor. They changed up the format and I think it made it more interesting. They divided everybody up into three fields and had a Tourney in each group. So you sprinted against a wider variety of riders. It made it challenging to try to figure out how to race someone stronger. Some of the fast riders showed up that you usually only see on Fridays. It made it feel like an "event".

All of the races were 2-lap heats with 2-4 riders in each race. In my first race one of the guys had a very low race number which meant he was a Cat 2 rider - very fast. There were three of us in the group. We rolled around the track waiting for someone to break for it. I rode in the back and tried to keep them guessing by changing my speed and changing my position on the banking. The strongest rider finally made the attack and I couldn't catch him but the race for second was very close. I lost but it felt good about trying out my ideas.

The second sprint I had to race with one of Mark's teammates who is very strong. I decided to go really early. I jumped hard and got a gap for 1/2 a lap but the other riders caught and passed me before the line. If I get a little more strength that kind of move might work.

On the last race I felt I had pretty good position, riding high on the track - right up until the rider down low attacked hard and I couldn't get to his wheel. I was closing before the finish but couldn't quite get there. I wasn't sure what I did wrong and then I talked to him on the warm down circle. He said that he used the third rider in our group to block my path to his wheel . He moved up slowly until I was blocked and then went for it. He got this great advice from racing against Annette in his previous heat. Annette! My teammate! I gave her grief for helping someone beat me but it was all in good fun. I probably won't forget that tactic.

It was also fun to watch how the riders who beat you did as they advanced to the next round. You could see what they tried and if it worked. Mark did well and took third overall in his group (beat by a Junior).

No comments: