Saturday, August 23, 2008

Welocome Canadians! - Marymoor Velodrome

I got to the track and was unpacking my stuff when I saw this tight group of about 8 riders circling the track in matching kits that I wasn't used to seeing. We had company! The Canadians had stopped by on their way to a big race in Portland. They had three of their top women riders with them too! Since the women's field was going to be stronger than usual some of the local women who usually race with the men decided to join us as well - Kelly and my teammate Annette. This meant we would be doing some fast riding! I could feel the pain in my legs already!


We had three women from my team in the race, Karen, myself, and Annette. Annette discussed strategy with us for the first race, a snowball. I was to go on the attack and try to get early points and then Karen and Annette would go for the later points. So I warmed up good, since I knew I was going to go all out right from the gun. We lined up for the first race and the gun went off and I attacked hard. I wasn't sure if I could get a point on the first lap but I thought if I didn't, at least Karen would be there if I got caught. But I kept the gap and took the point. I kept on the gas because I needed to get as many points as possible to help Annette. I heard Mark yelling from the infield "go for two!" Karen and Annette were in the pack, discouraging them from chasing. I got the next round of points and saw I had a big gap so I didn't let up. The announcer was really getting the crowd going and I stayed out for three more laps! The local girls in the pack decided to make the stronger ones chase and the stronger women were waiting around hoping to sit in. Finally they realized they had to close the gap and the pack caught me but by that time I had been off the front for 5 laps. I had enough points to get second place in the race! Annette was able to get the sprints at the end and win the race so we went 1-2! Hooray! I was really excited to do well.
The next race was a keirin and Annette discussed strategy with me and Karen. Annette was done for the night because she was resting her legs for the races down in Portland. I didn't get the wheel I wanted at the start so I tried riding up the side to mix up the order. But that didn't work and I ended up in back. I came around as the motor pulled off and got a great wheel. But then I wasn't able to match the speed of the strong riders and watched them get away. I need to work on my top end speed! Those girls are strong!


After racing with us the Canadians jumped in the men's field to race with them too. Incredible! They just didn't seem to get tired.


Our last race was a 25 lap scratch race. I was planning to try and rest for the whole race and place at the end but I couldn't resist a good opportunity to attack. I went off the front at least two times and was joined by one of the Canadians on the second attack. But my legs were so fried at this point. They say you should not burn all of your matches before the end of the race, well I might as well have had a bonfire with my matches. I hung on to finish the race but was thoroughly exhausted! That was FUN!
Today is a rest day before racing again tomorrow.

No comments: