Saturday, May 16, 2009

Friday Night Racing at Marymoor Velodrome

I had a good time racing last night.

We had a scratch race, a snowball, and a points race. The Starbucks team showed up with four riders and there were four riders without teammates. I didn't want Starbucks to control the tactics so I attacked early in the first race. Amara, Jane, and I got a gap and started working together. The only problem was that Amara and Jane are really good sprinters. We stayed away until the finish and I tried to come around 1/2 way through the last lap but didn't jump as hard as I thought I was going to. They both surged away from me and I got third.

The next race was a snowball. I was near the front so I went just hard enough to get the first set of points. I didn't realize until too late that I had a gap with a couple of riders. Jane was yelling go! go! but by the time I went the others had caught up. I got some points near the end of the race and it was good enough for second. I tried to ride from the front on the last lap but it backfired when the group came around at full speed.

On the next race everyone was watching for me to attack early. This time I rode around the track high for a couple of laps and kept on eye on the others. Amara was glued to my wheel. I knew if I attacked she'd be right there so I faked. I dropped down hard to the sprinters lane and then went back up track and dropped back into the draft. It was fun. I was in good position for the first set of points and just barely won a very close sprint. I got a few more points in the later sprints and it was good enough for 2nd overall for the night.

I really need to work on my power for those sprints! Mark had a good night and got 6th in the last points race.

Today I went for a recovery ride with some of the track racers. My legs were sure tired. I went for a swim in the lake afterwards and the cool water really felt good on the hot muscles.

2 comments:

Bilko said...

being smart often counts far more than being strong. Keep it up.

Lucky said...

Thanks Bilko!