Sunday, May 3, 2009

Glendale Road Race

The Glenwood Road Race was very rainy but not that cold. Annette, Cheryl, Michele, and I went down but Michele didn't feel well when we got there and decided it was best to sit it out.
Josh, Michele and I had driven part of the course looking for the steep hill which we though was at the finish but it turned out to be the first corner after the neutral roll out. It wasn't that bad but I managed to mess up my shifting the second time around and got gapped off. I chased for a bit but didn't feel strong enough to catch back on. Our race was 70 miles so I didn't finish on my own. I had fun while I was in there though and moved around to the front to try and shelter Cheryl and Annette when I could. The finish was really weird, it was 10 miles from the start so if you finished the race you actually did 80 miles.

Later in the race Cheryl wiped out on a corner. She wasn't sure what happened but there were some slick areas so maybe she hit a spot of oil. She suffered some road rash on her elbow and hit the ground hard. She hopped back on the bike and could see the group ahead and made a big effort to rejoin but it was too late to catch back on.

There was a girl in the group who obviously used too much soap when washing her kit because it all foamed up when it started raining. Her rear end was totally sudsy and there were little puffs of foam flying from her bike the whole time I was in the race. Maybe Cheryl wiped out on the suds?

I liked the course and would do it again. We took the ferry home which reduced the driving quite a bit. And we got popcorn on the ferry!

No comments: