Sunday, May 24, 2009

Friday - Preseason #3 Marymoor Velodrome

I felt tired all week and low on energy. I skipped my Tuesday workout to sleep. So Friday I raced more conservatively than normal.

We raced an unknown distance, point-a-lap, and a points race. The unknown distance stayed together most of the race. I went off for a lap around lap 5 but was caught before any bells. I recovered enough to get 4th I think on the final lap.

On the point a lap I went for the first sprint but was edged out by Christine, then Christine and Cammie got away and were taking points. As they were getting caught I figured everybody was pretty tired so took the opportunity to attack hard. It was fun and I stayed away for three laps but then was really tired. I saw them coming but just didn't have it to contest the final two sprints. I think I got 4th again with my three points.

The last race was a points race. I tried a move that Mark taught me but I botched it. I will have to try it again next week so no descriptions yet. Other than that I tried to keep an eye on Christine who ended up winning for the night but we had some close sprints. I sprinted later than I usually do to save energy. It helped and I actually felt better after the night's racing.

I rested Saturday and then went out to the track early Sunday. I had the whole track to myself. It was great! I don't think I've ever ridden on it when no one was there. It felt very peaceful, just me and the track and some birds. I had to yell at some Canadian geese though because they came and tried to poop on the track. I did three sets of 10 all-out sprints. I felt clumsy at first and unbalanced but got smoother the more I did. I got a good feel for that last corner too. I was sore afterwards but it felt good. I seem to have my energy back now.

At the end of my workout there was another guy on the track on a road bike. I chatted with him and he said he was there because of a bet he had with a buddy. They had a contest to lose weight but they also had to make a certain speed on the track to prove that they weren't starving themselves and wasting away. He had lost 20 lbs! The bet was for a steak dinner for 4!

I went over to the parking lot in time to meet the ride for Glen Erickson. He is diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and was having a ride to benefit parkinson's research. I was glad to see they had a really good turnout. I didn't do the ride just hung out and chatted with everybody and then went back to the track to warmdown in the sunshine.

No comments: