Sunday, June 1, 2008

Enumclaw Omnium Corner 2

My team put on the bike race this weekend, the Enumclaw omnium. The race is the closest stage race to Seattle city limits and it's known for being a very challenging course. The team donates half of the profits to the Special Olympics so it's a win for everybody.

My job today was to corner marshal for the road race all day. I put my chair down at my station and of course right there was a four-leaf clover!

I was stationed on corner two - right next to the Scottish Highland Cattle. I was a little worried since I was waving my red stop sign around right next to bulls with horns. The owner came out though and told me a little about the bulls. For one thing they are color blind and can't see red. So they attack based on motion, not color. Two of the bulls next to me were actually grand champions that he had showed. The one with the nose ring was the male. The ring is for control. I was protected by the electric fence so I wasn't in too much danger.

Congratulations to everyone who did the race. I can tell you that from my perspective there was an awful lot of suffering going on out there!







1 comment:

Random Menace said...

That's kind of scary. I came through your corner 4 times yesterday, and I sure didn't see any cows. In fact, I don't remember seeing much of anything other than the wheel of the guy in front of me.

A belated thanks for manning your corner. I try to thank the marshals on the last lap, but didn't remember until the last turn on 284th.