Saturday, June 21, 2008

Marymoor Velodrome Friday Racing in the Sunshine

Last night my teammate Karen and I raced for the Women's 1,2,3 field. I'm still not a 3 but the officials are letting me race.

Karen did awesome and won about $60! Woohoo! There was a great crowd with people lined up all the way across the rail to watch. It was very cool. Watching track races is fun because you can see the entire race - not just a corner or a finish. So you get the whole development.

Karen got a prime in the first race (10 lap scratch) for $10. I came up behind her and helped block in another rider who was coming up from behind.

Then we had a two lap sprint which Karen dominated. It was amazing to watch. I was going to attack early in my race but one of the other riders saw me and moved up track to stop me. I was going to go on the next banking but Mary got the jump from below when the riders were watching me - then I couldn't catch her wheel. The sprint tactics are tricky.

In the final race, the 4x5 points (4 sprints every five laps 4 places deep) we decided that I would go on the attack to make the other riders work. I was supposed to wait until the end of the race but I was too excited and couldn't pass up a good opportunity. I used my "casual" attack where you ramp it up while looking relaxed and then when it's too late for others to respond you punch it. I went on lap 3 thinking the sprint was on the 4th lap. But it was on the 5th lap so I did a couple of laps off the front but held on to take the points for the lap. The next sprint I rested but on sprint #3 I went on the attack again. I gaped the field and made them chase again but got swallowed up before the sprint. For the last sprint I went to the front, ahead of Karen, and pulled as hard as I could. Karen came around and wanted to lead me out for the finish but my legs were dead. Overall I think Karen got 3rd in the omnium and I think I got 7th. I can't wait to go out again.

Next Wednesday is Sprint Mania which starts at 7:30. The races are only two laps long so there will be lots of action.

No comments: