Saturday, June 14, 2008

Graduation - Marymoor Velodrome Friday 13th

It was graduation night for some of the high school racers at the track including Grant, Ian, and Ryan so Grant's mom brought Pizzas to the track to celebrate. Hmmm Ted looks like he could eat a whole pizza!
It was graduation from the 4's to the 3's for me! This is to be confirmed by an official upgrade but when I showed up to race with the men as a cat 4 it turned out that there were not enough cat 1,2,3 women. So the officials told me to race with the women! Hooray!

My first race was a point-a-lap. I did my usual strategy of going for the second lap and got way off the front. I was so excited I forgot to move down into the sprinters lane until halfway through the next lap. I took two laps but may have gone for three if I had been smarter. I was so excited to be off the front in my first race. The next race was the miss-in-out which I'd never done before. I was worried about that one. Since I thought I was going to be in the Men's race I had been chatting with Amara about strategy for the miss-in-out. Amara told me what her strategy was and that helped me out. I ended up 4th. It was a fun race and the relaxed pace with a last minute sprint seemed to suit my style of racing. The last race was a 20 lap scratch with primes. I thought there would be one prime at the middle so I was saving up. But they called it at lap 8 - and then at 9 - and then at 10. That got things moving. I went for the second prime ($10) but was edged out by the Canadian, Rachel. Maybe it will help pay for gas. I think I ended up 4th in that race too. I was pleased overall.

Mark did a chariot race again but this time no super push at the start (see Wednesday's post). He won his preliminary heat and got second overall in the final heat. Nice. (sorry about the bad camera handling at the beginning of the video)



After the race I asked Phil about upgrading and he said it was fine but I needed to remember to ride below the blue line when attacking. Ooops, rookie rider blunder.

No comments: